This blog reflects my personal views and not the views of the Peace Corps. This is for the cross-cultural enjoyment of my friends and family.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

SO COOL!

So I'm sitting here in my office, ODECO, tooling around, trying to find the motivation to study, learn about topographic studies, not be on Facebook, and this guy walks up and says, "I heard there is a Volunteer here from Wat/San." Well, I perk up, naturally. Of course, my counter-part is there, but he just walks away. I had a minor panic attack, but not as big of an attack as I thought. So, he sits down and starts explaining that he is the president of a water board nearby that needs to expand its water system, because it was built a while ago, and they've extended beyond the capacity of the existing water system.

Now, we're entering winter here, which means it's going to rain a lot. The first rule about designing a water system is to measure the "speed" of the water. Well, you want to design the system on the basis that they will have enough water in the dry season, so you can't take a foro (measurement) of the water in the winter/rainy season.

Well, I was glad I remembered this fact in my frenzied, "CRAP! He's talking to me!! Will I understand??" So I got that out, all comfortable in my ability to handle myself in a Wat/San fashion, and he goes, "Well, the streams are at the same level as they would be in the summer, so that's not a problem." SHOT DOWN! Oh well, that didn't get me down, I'm new.

So he's like, "I don't know if you have time, but if you do, we have to get on the foro immediately." He introduced himself, and left.

HOW EXCITING! In training they always tell us that people will randomly approach us and ask for help, but I didn't think it would happen my first week! Apparently people were expecting me, and that's pretty cool! I want to go do it, because it would be easier to work with an existing system (maybe). And I could do the foro, but not do the project for various reasons. Either way, I'm stoked!!

Sitting here does pay off!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah;
    Enjoyed your last post (May 20). Don't know anything about water systems but it seems like an opportune time to start the "foro". Do you plan to do it? What is involved?
    On another tack, you mention Odeco. Is that the name of the town of your assignment?
    Looking forward to your next post.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete