This blog reflects my personal views and not the views of the Peace Corps. This is for the cross-cultural enjoyment of my friends and family.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Blog "En Vivo" or Written Live

Hey guys-

So I'm actually sitting in ADEPES writing this blog in person as opposed to writing it ahead of time and pasting it in. Knowing luck in Honduras, the internet will cut out soon, but I'm getting to the point where I will be ok with that.

So yesterday we went to the river. It was hands down the best day of my life. We met up at 8:00 am, which meant I could sleep in, and made food in groups to take to the river. My group made guacamole. At around 10, we headed to this farm, where if you walk down a ways you get to this awesome part of the river! It was actually clean, cool, and had a really deep part where you could jump off a rock and not hit the bottom. We were like little, happy fish!

Everyone spent the entire time in the water and we just splashed around and had a great time! We were so happy to be swimming and cool again. It was great not to be in Spanish class and just be able to relax. We are all so burnt out from Spanish, training and not sleeping. Out of the 10 hours a night I TRY to sleep, I probably achieve REM 4 - 5 hours each night. Only one week left! I'm sad and happy about that.

So, the river was awesome. Great food and great friends. We were having a blast tooling around in the water. There were a lot of jokes and stories, but I can barely remember them, and I don't know if they would translate well. Peace Corps Honduras humor is the epitome of "you had to be there". For the first time our conversation strayed of the following topics:

1) Who pissed you off today in Spanish class/technical training.
2) What food/ beverages you miss.
3) What about Honduras is completely backwards.

We seem to be really negative, but when you only have a few people to talk to and a lot of things that are frustrating, you tend to just bitch. Everyone is really happy though, and our little sessions of negativity are necessary to relieve a lot of stress. We always have a blast together though.

But, yesterday was perfect. I had a blast and cannot begin to explain how awesome it was to be in cool water for about 4 hours. I'm burned to hell on my back, but that's ok. Such a great group of people we have here, because we all have so much fun together. I'm pretty bummed to be leaving them soon, but hopefully we'll all keep in touch and get together for parties/holidays.

So, Monday is the big site announcement day! I'm going to try to get on the internet some time this week to put up a little blurb about my post. Saturday we're moving back to Sarabanda, and then have a week there before we go to our sites! I don't know when I'll get internet next, so FYI.

Other than that life is good. I can't believe I'm moving on to the next stage of my service! Crazy that time has passed so quickly.

New pictures posted! Take care everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are moving on the the next part of your service. Hope all goes well and you do a great job. I've recently moved back to Cleveland to help out the family and go back to school. Maybe one day I can make it down to Honduras. Until then, good luck and keep your head up. take care. - Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe Maina said...
    Enjoy your posts (mucho = all the Spanish I know). Wish you all the best on your assignment. Wonder if you can help me? Trying to contact Jennifer S of New Jersey who is a Volunteer in training in Honduras. She intended to start her own blog, but haven't been able to find it.
    Joe Maina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the assignment!! I can't wait to hear what it is. (You better be using sun screen lady!)

    ReplyDelete