This blog reflects my personal views and not the views of the Peace Corps. This is for the cross-cultural enjoyment of my friends and family.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Best Weekend Ever!

I don’t know if anyone noticed that I was lacking a major appliance in my kitchen … a refrigerator. I had been moderately harassing my office to take me to buy one, but there was always an excuse and I never ended up going. Well, I finally got serious about it last week and got on them about taking me. I almost went on Thursday, but last minute they didn’t have room in the bed of the pick-up and I got put off another day.

Well the director must have felt pretty bad, because Friday he had someone make a special trip for me, which is a pretty big deal because that’s gas they probably shouldn’t have “wasted.” I don’t see it as a waste, but they could have coordinated better because cars go to Santa Rosa every week. I really appreciated it though, because it really was a big gesture.

Well the entire ride to Santa Rosa I was like a child on the way to an amusement park. Every five minutes I would clap my hands and say, “Voy a comprar un refri!!”/ “I’m going to buy a fridge!” Well we get into the store and the fridge I had looked at (weeks ago) was naturally gone. The remaining ones were more expensive, but not too much and I was so ready to be able to buy milk and other lovely foods that require refrigeration. I was lucky Humberto was there, because he actually thought to ask about warranties and the like. I mean, I might have thought of that eventually, but then there’s the whole obstacle of trying to figure out how to express “warranty,” because I didn’t know the word. Anyways, paid up, which was painful, because that is by far the most money I’ve spent on a single object in Honduras. They hauled the fridge to the car and we were off! Fastest trip I’ve had to Santa Rosa, which was sad because I wanted to hang out and had more things to buy! Hah.

They secured the fridge in the bed of the pick-up and we were off to drive the windy, dangerous, pot-hole ridden highway back to Corquin. I was really nervous on the way back, because Humberto is an aggressive driver and at one point we almost had a head-on with an 18 wheeler. My friend Plankster (nickname) was visiting for the weekend and was in the car too. I squealed and covered my eyes with hands, which seemed to have been entertaining for them. I was more concerned for the safety of my fridge, but what good is a fridge if I’m not alive to use it?!

Well we’re halfway there and we start to slow down. What’s going on? Why are we stopping? Well one of the policemen (off-duty) had gotten a flat tire on his motorcycle and Humberto, being the kindly man that he is, stopped to give him a lift. Oh wait, not just the man, BUT THE MOTORCYLCE TOO! I started freaking and sent Plankster to supervise the fastening the motorcycle in the back as well.

Honduras + pick-up + new fridge + motorcycle = Hannah is a HOT MESS

Plankster assured me that everything was secure and we returned to Corquin with the fridge and motorcylce intact. The rest of the way back Humberto kept kidding around, “Hannah you fridge is still there. Yup, still there.”

So the fridge gets placed in its new home and I had to use all my self-restraint to keep from plugging it in; you are supposed to wait 4 hours after transporting it, which was torture for me. I waited though and now I have ice and once I buy a pitcher I will have cold water too! It’s kind of sad because I got a little fridge that you would find in dorm rooms, but this one has a separate freezer. The fridge is so small and I will still never be able to fill it. :SIGH:

That was the first great thing about this weekend. Second great thing was Plankster visiting. I love having company now and enjoying other people being around. I’d like to think I’m improving my hostess skills too. It was nice to see him, as always, but what was really great was he was totally in the mood to help me fix up my house. We went to the ferreteria (hardware store) on Saturday morning and bought paint for my living room, wire to make a run for Bourbon, and rope to string up a hammock.

Plankster has bought three hammocks and the third he had with him here in Corquin. He bought it to send back to the States when his parents visit in January and he is an amazing person! and lent me the hammock until then!

We painted my living room (I am posting pictures) yellow and beige. I actually don’t like the color combination, but I had leftover paint from the kitchen and I figured out I didn’t like it a little late. So, unfortunately that’s something I have to live with for now, but it’s not terrible.

Then we hung the hammock, so I have a nice hammock on my back porch to lie in and read. I really hope the puppy doesn’t chew it to death because it’s not exactly mine…

Lastly, we hung the cable for Bourbon to run around on. It goes back into my yard a little bit so I can leave him outside during the day and he can be happy there instead of cooped up in the house. Also, maybe now he won’t escape from his room and chew my shower shoes and my purse! Yes, that was a lovely surprise on Friday. I entire the house and see the victims, lying on the floor and Bourbon is at the door to greet me, which he wouldn’t be able to do if he was safely locked in his room. I yell, “Oh God! I can’t look!”

“Is that my purse?!” I squeal as I wander farther into the house to check out the damage. I can’t imagine what people were thinking as they hear the gringa yelling and swearing in her house. My neighbors must think I torture my dog because he howls all the time and all they probably hear me say is, “NO!” Luckily, he just chewed the flower on the purse, which doesn’t really look any different. The shower shoes were the only things majorly damaged and he’d already gotten to them.

So my house is finally really coming together. Amazing what a difference the paint made and I don’t even like it that much! The house just doesn’t look as old. Then today I went to Kristy’s house to pick up some stuff. She just finished her service and is back in the States (Congrats!) and left some stuff for me and my sitemate. The weekend got even better, because now I have a rug, speakers and a blender to make licuados!

I’m just so happy and content. Also, Plankster and I made chocolate chip pancakes this morning, which really just improved the entire day as well. Great weekend! Next I need to tackle painting the bedroom!

Pictures have been posted so take a look at them!

No comments:

Post a Comment