This blog reflects my personal views and not the views of the Peace Corps. This is for the cross-cultural enjoyment of my friends and family.

Friday, April 3, 2009

How Life has Changed Since I Moved to Honduras

(in no particular order)

I now get up to run at 5 am every day.
I flush the toilet with a bucket and take a shower with a bucket (different ones)
I have now mastered ZERO languages: I’m losing my English and Spanish I have yet to even come close to mastering.
I haven’t eaten chocolate in 3 weeks. Just doesn’t taste the same here.
I don’t drink anymore (not a conscious choice, but culturally sensitive.)
I can walk outside and pick a mango off a tree to eat.
I can’t walk around at night (Pespire has a rule that people have to be off the streets at 10 pm. Most people don’t follow the rule, but as a gringa, that would create a lot of trouble for Peace Corps.)
People seem to think that it is acceptable to whistle and cat-call whenever I walk by them.
I eat a gagillion carbohydrates a day (that’s not too different actually)
I feel like I’m back in middle school.

No comments:

Post a Comment