This blog reflects my personal views and not the views of the Peace Corps. This is for the cross-cultural enjoyment of my friends and family.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sugar Ketchup Hot-Dog Spaghetti Sauce

So, the Hondurans really only eat two kinds of “foreign food”: chopped suey and sugar ketchup spaghetti.

We’ve been here for over a month now and have all had the unfortunate encounter with sugar ketchup hot-dog spaghetti sauce. Now, in order to understand exactly how foul this combination is, I encourage you all to go to your kitchen and grab ketchup and sugar. Now mix them, almost equal parts, but with a bit more sugar. Then spread it over warm spaghetti. Now eat it. Now you know how I feel!

The Honduran women seem to think that tomato sauce is actually just ketchup and sugar. It’s disgusting. Then, to add to the magic of this meal, they add little pieces of hot-dog. I would gladly pick Chef Boyardee over this stuff any day!

Now, whenever one of us gets this glorious concoction for lunch we come back to the group and say, “Guess what I had for lunch!” Of course we all know the answer, and we just start laughing hysterically. There’s no way for you to know how hard it is to eat this stuff. What I wouldn’t give for some Prego sauce right now!

Another marvelous fact about Honduran food is that they love to eat soup in the middle of the day! I sweat 24/7 here and to add to the disgusting-ness of this situation, I get scalding hot soup for lunch and just sweat profusely. I don’t understand why they don’t eat more salads here. Light food, PLEASE!

Other than that though, I’ve had a good run with the food here. Luckily, because I get portions 2x the size of anyone else, I have host moms who are really good cooks. It seems that all the guys have gotten parasites, because they are constantly hungry. It’s convenient actually, because when you’re offered a sandwich and fruit (for a snack) right after you’ve eaten like 6 pancakes, you always have a male somewhere who is still hungry and will eat whatever you have. Meanwhile, watching everything I eat getting cooked in a cup of oil, I’m terrified that I’m going to gain ten pounds overnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment